Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Adventures in Sleeping

Anyone who is, or has been, the parent of two young kids knows what an adventure bedtime can be. I can probably count on one hand the number of peaceful night's sleep I've gotten in the past five years. Coincidentally, I think all of those peaceful nights have been while I was all by myself.

Last night was a great example.

Chris had a co-op meeting and so I was left with the joy of getting both girls to bed. Molly still needs someone to lay in bed beside her until she's asleep. Emma was - well, let's just say Emma was a bundle of excitement on the night before her birthday. Molly didn't seem very tired. I was surprised by this, considering the fact that they had a nice long playground visit in the afternoon.

It took about an hour to get Molly settled. My frustration level was high, as every time I tried sneaking out, her eyes popped open immediately, and she grabbed onto me for dear life. All I could think about were the birthday gifts to wrap, and party decorations to work on.

I finally made it out of there. The rest of my evening was pretty uneventful. I worked on Sunday's party prep. Chris came home, filled me in on the co-op news, and then we went to bed.

I was just dozing off when I heard the girls' bedroom door open. The heavy-footed gait told me that it was Molly. I pulled another pillow into our bed and let her crawl in with us. For the next 45 minutes, Molly proceeded to toss her leg up over my neck, repeatedly, play with my hair, and shove her knees into my back. She would seem to wait just until I was almost asleep to do it. It was nothing less than TORTURE!

Finally, I grabbed my pillows and left in disgust. Chris could deal with it. I needed sleep.

I crawled quietly into Molly's little bed and drifted off to sleep. At around 1:30 I was ripped from my dreams by a light being flashed in my eyes. Emma's flashlight.

"Mommy, is it morning yet?" She wanted to know.

"Not even close, Kiddo. Go back to sleep."

By this point my back was starting to hurt. Mo's bed isn't exactly the most comfortable one in the house, particularly for an adult body. I managed to get to sleep anyhow.

At 4:30, same thing. Rustling around in the room, flashlight in my face. "Is it morning NOW, Mommy?"

Deep breath. Clenched teeth. "No, honey, go back to sleep." I mustered up a sweet reply.

I woke up at 5:45, and contemplated a run. The bed was so warm, I was so tired...I drifted back to sleep.

6:00 am. More flashing lights. "Is it morning now, Mommy?"

"Yeah, Kiddo, it is. Happy Birthday."

"Do I get my presents now???????"

"Go wake up Daddy...."

And today I'm dreaming of a huge coffee....

No comments: