Saturday, April 12, 2008

Don't ask for the recipe....


...because I don't have one!

(I've been inspired by my niece to blog about the food I'm cooking/eating - thanks, Mel. ;)

I love to cook. The way I love cooking the best is to just throw things in a pot or pan, with a vague idea of what I want the end result to be, and see what happens. More often than not, I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

A couple of days ago I made a gorgeous chickpea and vegetable soup. We're mostly vegetarians and so chickpeas are a staple at our house. They go into everything from soup to chocolate cake (yeah, that's right, I said chocolate cake. Maybe I'll post that particular recipe sometime - delicious!).

This soup has lovely chickpea goodness, along with potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic, vegetable stock, tomatoes, basil, spinach and one of my favourite soup ingredients - broccoli stalks. Yep. Broccoli stalks. I'm one of those frugal people who really hates throwing out good food. It kind of chaps my hide to serve my family broccoli and see those tasty stalks go to waste. So I try to use them up in soup whenever I can, which admittedly isn't as often as I'd like. In any case, I used them in this soup and it made me happy.

What also made me happy is that my picky eater children actually ATE this soup. Surprise, surprise!

I'm having the leftovers for lunch today! YUM!

1 comment:

Smelanie said...

Yum! That looks great. Strikes me as one of those things that tastes even better the next day. Gotta love it. Nice bowl, too!