Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sushi Night!


My husband and I are very busy people. Two kids, Chris in school full time, working part time, me doing the homeschooling thing, living in a co-op, finding time for our friends......it can get pretty hectic by times (And by 'by times', I mean pretty much constantly). One thing we've always done, for years now, is commit our Friday nights to one another. Barring something special (like a rare "mommy sleepover" for me), we always spend Friday evenings together. We hold off dinner until after Emma and Mo are in bed, and then eat together, enjoy a drink or two, and usually watch a movie. It's a nice little tradition, something to look forward to at the end of the week. Just relaxing together, no expectations, just enjoying good food and each other's company.

Most Friday nights for the past three years, I always make us sushi. We've taken a break from it for a few months, because frankly, I was getting tired of it. It was good to branch out and experiment with other things.

Last night we had sushi again for the first time in months. I'd forgotten how yummy it could be. We also watched "The Notebook", which I'd watched before, but I consider one of the ultimate in romantic movies. Not too sappy, not too corny - hell, even Chris enjoyed it the second time around. I'm embarrassed to report that I was a complete bawl-bag, which really isn't surprising, considering the emotional turmoil I've experienced these last few months. Guess I needed something to cry about other than my own issues. ;)

I love our Friday nights. It's nice knowing, no matter how frazzled and busy the week gets, we've always got that one chunk of time guaranteed for one another. It doesn't really even matter to me what we do - it's good to just have that time to count on, to know that no matter what, we're committed to that, and to each other. Such a seemingly small ritual, with so much deep meaning.

I love you, honey.....

2 comments:

Smelanie said...

Nice picture. I'd frame that and hang it in my kitchen if I were you. I do strange things like that.

I like veggie sushi. I buy it every now and then from the Superstore. Do you put fish in yours?

Mama S said...

I make some with vegetables, and also some with cooked fish - shrimp, fake crab, smoked salmon (although not all in the same roll!!! ;). Yum!